Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hearts for Haiti


I've been following a thread on the Etsy forums, there is a ground swell of shop owners trying to set up a shop raise funds for Haiti. The plan is for the participants to donate items to be sold through one hub site on Etsy. each item will be shipped free and 100% of the monies raised will be donated to Doctors Without Borders. (Except for the etsy fee/listing cost 3.5%+$.20).


I have a personal connection to Haiti. Though it was so long ago I don't remember it, my grandparents helped establish the first art museum in Haiti. For a while when I was a child visiting my grandparents might mean spending time with visiting Haitian artists. One artists, Murat Brierre spent a summer teaching me to speak Creole, the family story says that I was fluent by the end of that summer, but unfortunately I don't remember a word of it now. I am the proud owner of one of Monsieur Brierre's sculptures. The woman in is my mother and the children are my brother and myself.


More later as the Hearts for Haiti project is ready for launch.

No comments:

Post a Comment